Monday, January 3, 2011

What the hell is this?

Ever since participating in Art Jam 5 a few weeks ago, it's taken me back to painting traditionally.  I've too many canvas sitting in my apartment with unfinished paintings that have been staring back at me for some time.  I couldn't think of a better way to get them to stop looking at me then to paint over them.  Something new.  So I found some tubes of water based oil paints and just started throwing down colors.  No particular theme.  No initial sketches.  Something spur of the moment and just go with the flow of whatever direction the brushes would take me.
I'm not used to doing something like that and it felt nice to not depend on concepts;  like, drawing thumbnails, sketching poses.
It's all about random shapes, experimenting with layers of colors and textures... dealing with the unexpected.  That one brush stroke that adds a particular characteristic to the painting.  Dealing with that slight fear of even changing it for the better or possibility of the worse.  It's not Photoshop, and there's no control Z or layers to save the painting.  Just a paper towel or palette knife to scrape away the last thought.
I'm not sure how long it'll take to finish it.  Eventually, I'll dab the last spot of color and call it done.  At this point, I'm just having some fun.
Anyways, here a some pics of what I've done so far...







No comments: